Masan Yongmago right-handed pitcher Jang Hyun-seok 바카라(19) expressed his feelings on joining the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Jang Hyun-seok held an induction ceremony for the Dodgers at the Seoul Dragon City Hotel on the 14th and declared his intention to challenge the United States in earnest. Jang Hyun-seok attracted attention with a fastball that reached a maximum speed of 157 kilometres per hour. His fame spread across the ocean to the United States, and he was courted by several major league teams. He chose the prestigious Dodgers. Jang signed a $900,000 contract with the Dodgers.
Jang Hyun-seok wears a neat suit on stage. John Dibble, director of scouting for the Pacific region, personally dressed him in a Dodgers jersey and cap to celebrate his signing. Jang Hyun-seok was also interviewed by the press with a smile as bright as ever.
Jang Hyun-seok ⓒReporter Kwak Hye-mi
Jang Hyun-seok ⓒKyun Hye-mi Reporter
Here is a one-on-one interview with Jang Hyun-seok
- How did you feel about joining the Dodgers?
I didn’t know I was going to the Dodgers. It’s an honour to wear the uniform. I’ve been watching and hearing about them for a long time. I saw them once in a while when I was playing baseball in Seoul, so I knew they were interested.
- I heard that the Dodgers weren’t the only team that offered you a contract. Why did you choose the Dodgers?
They’ve been watching me for a long time. When we met, they showed me film, analysed old and current footage, and explained the Dodgers well. Korean players are familiar with the Dodgers. Out of 30 teams, I chose the Dodgers because they were said to be the best at developing pitchers.
- I joined the Dodgers. Your goal is to get on the mound in the fastest time possible. How long do you think it will take? Are there any major leaguers you want to emulate?
It would be nice to go up quickly, but we’ll see how I do. There are also injury concerns. I don’t know how many years it will take. I want to be like Clayton Kershaw, who has been with the Dodgers the longest and is the number one starter, and I want to be like that.
- I heard you like Darvish judo.
I watched a film of you throwing in Japan and a film of you throwing in San Diego. The pitching form is different. The balance is different. He’s my favourite type of player. I like to watch and learn a lot.
- Who would you like to face?
I would like to play against Shohei Ohtani. He is the best hitter in the major leagues. He’s doing well. He’s a fellow Asian. He’s my second favourite player after Darvish.
- The Dodgers also had Park Chan-ho and Ryu Hyun-jin. They represented Korean baseball. What are your resolutions and goals?
My goal is to get to the major leagues as soon as possible, but if I make it to the big leagues, I want to be a starting pitcher for the Dodgers like Park Chan-ho and Ryu Hyun-jin.
- Most memorable congratulations?
I’ve been contacted by friends who played baseball with me and coaches who taught me. It’s hard to name one person.
- What nickname do you hope to get from the Dodgers?
I haven’t thought about a nickname. I hope the fans will give me one.
Jang Hyun-seok ⓒKyun Hye-mi Reporter
- Ryu Hyun-jin won the game. Many players go to the U.S. after playing in the Korean baseball league. You didn’t have many success stories when you tried the US after high school. Why did you decide to go to the US in a hurry?
I could play in the Korean Baseball Organization and then go to the United States. My last dream was to be a major leaguer. I thought I could play more scientific baseball in the US and perfect my body in a good system and facility, so I chose to go directly to the US.
- What made you decide to go to the US?
The facilities are better in the US than in Korea. I thought it would be better to learn baseball in the US. After the Cheongnyonggi Jangchung Gojeon, I completely made up my mind.
- Have you been contacted by any Korean major leaguers?
I haven’t heard from any other players. I spoke with Seoul High’s Lee Chan-seo, who recently signed with the Boston Red Sox.
- What would you like to say to your fans?
I’ll do my best to show them better in the future.